Tuesday, August 14, 2012

1984, a year for any artist.


This is an important year for people who want to look edgy-smart about dystopia-literature.  Yay for them.  My early memories were playing with STAR WARS toys and bikes and crap like kids do around Cedar Falls and my older brother and the neighbor kids pretending we were the Goonies.  The kid from India that ended up at NASA was Dana, my brother was Mouth, the affable everyman kid was mikey, and that made me ol' toddler Budai, Chunk.  Dad kept getting promotions so we moved to a nice acreage on a hill 20 minutes outside of Cedar Falls Iowa.  We got a dog and played outside and met the neighbor kids one which included my lifelong best friend Matt Everts aka "Saint Bartholomew…"

We'd watch the A-Team and Airwolf with dad playing with us and mom laughing and doing arts and crafts and sewing we'd try to make our action figures act like B.A. Baracus, Mark Hammil, or George Peppard.  We got a dog but it kept shitting on the carpet so we had to give it away.  I remember the GI JOE cereal box cover at the Waterloo Airport, dad was coming home and he  learned to fly a cesna to and fro from his construction jobs and I know that's one of the highlights of his life.  I wanted an X-Wing fighter and latter got spent my youth buried in PC flight simulator manuals.

One night I got scared and went and slept with my brother because I had premonitions and was scared about monsters or COBRA or something.  I awoke later to still silence in the summer night.  I tried to wake my brother but he would not budge.  I walked to my parent's bedroom with a sort of magnetism.  I could not wake my parents.  There was a bright light coming out the window.  I had to be 4 or 5 or 6…




I looked out the window and glowing "beings" were out there that I now recognize as buddhas.  They simply communicated without words directly into my mind through the silence.  It was so quiet as if time stood still.  A floating blue-green "starlight" orb floated through the air out between a newly planted tree and the LP gas tank.  The ball came towards me.  I never felt any fear, just puzzlement that no one else would wake up.  The ball surrounded me and the next moment I was at the breakfast table with my brother eating that GI JOE cereal.

In the following years I'd watch Robert Stack's Unsolved Mysteries and pay close note to the UFO and paranormal stories.  I was always fearless of any bullies and my dad was proud of me at the city park during a little league game when a bunch of bullies were trying to beat me up and I said, "I can feel no pain."  That was kind of like the crucifixion.  It also helped me be an undersized all-state nose tackle for our football team in high school.  But it mostly made me weird.

But I feared UFOs.  I feared aliens.  I had wonder towards them.  "Fire in the Sky" and "Communion" starring Christopher Walken are movies you should see.  My best friend the archangel Mikey Bauer and I would play guns in the forrest mowing down "Aliens and Predators and Terrorists" pretending we were Arnold.  His older brother Josh was a great artist painting the nude cover of "Mother's Milk" on the easel and on the desk next to this was a copy of Whitley Strieber's book.

The next turn in this biography will go more into philosophical leanings and questions of "WHY WAS I!?" who I was and class struggle that led me into a sort of a classless "reality struggle."  If you think the X-Files will be coming into play you're kinda right, but we're not that far yet.  In terms of mystical experience I didn't think much of it.  I guess I could read people's minds but it didn't matter, their souls were making me too sad back then to do anything flashy with the so-called psyhic powers.  If anything must be done with "psychic powers" at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment